Monday, March 17, 2014

GRANDMA BRENDA'S POT ROAST

Did your Mom or Grandma ever cook something and you always wanted the recipe? But you never got it, because it wasn't written down. She eye-balled the measurements. A little bit of this, a little bit of that. She just cooked it.Well, my Mom always made pot roast and never taught me how to make it. It took my daughter living with my Mom in North Carolina for this recipe to be finally passed along.

INGREDIENTS:


Beef Round Eye Round Roast
8 Medium potatoes
2 Green peppers
1 Big onion
Minced garlic *optional*
Seasoning salt
Olive oil
Pepper
Salt


And the same way, our Moms just cooked it, was the same way my daughter started. (read: I didn't photograph it). That being said, she took the meat from the package and poked holes in it with a fork and seasoned with salt, pepper and seasoning salt. Lightly dredged the meat in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and seasoning salt.

Add enough olive oil to a big stock pot to just cover the bottom, add meat and heat on medium to high.


Turn meat on all sides to get a nice sear.


In a separate pan, brown seasoned green peppers and onions. This is where the optional minced garlic comes in. My mom doesn't use it, but my daughter does.


After meat is seared, add water, but don't fully cover meat. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat.


Next, add green peppers and onions and reduce heat and let simmer for 2 hours.


Quarter and season potatoes with salt, pepper and seasoning salt.



Add potatoes one by one and let cook covered for 2-3 more hours.


When potatoes are fork tender, pull apart meat and allow it to absorb the juices.




I bought a prepared loaf of garlic bread to accompany this meal along with some sweet corn.


Mangia! Mangia!  


Left overs are always better on the next day. I buttered two hard rolls and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes, heated up the meat and potatoes and made a "steak sandwich".  To die for! The juices from the meat soaked into the rolls, OMG!!  Dang it, looking at the picture, I shoulda put my potatoes on the sandwich! Next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment