Thursday, March 20, 2014

DO YOU TUTU? I DO!

If you wore a tutu, as a little girl, it was probably because you were either in ballet or played princess. Why would you want to wear one as an adult? Because you watched Sex and the City and saw Carrie Bradshaw wearing a tutu in the streets of Paris and New York.


And we can't forget the incomparable Marilyn Monroe in this ballerina photo. Classic!


Well, let's make one. All you need is 2-3 spools of Tulle available at Walmart, ribbon or elastic.
Carrie wore green and white, but mine will be black.



Take your measurements and add about 12 inches when cutting the ribbon, so you can tie a bow.
(so if your waist is 30 inches, cut the ribbon at 42 inches, you'll have six inches on each side.)

If you use elastic, subtract 3-4 inches from your measurement.
(so if your waist is 30 inches, cut the elastic at about 26 inches because it will stretch)


Next place the tulle at your waistline and see how long you want it. I cut my tulle 36 inches long so when I fold it in half, it will be 18 inches long, right above my knee.


I was able to cut 24 strips from one spool of tulle. I ended up using 2 1/2 spools, so that's about 60 strips of tulle.


I tied the ribbon around my home office chair (find something wide and sturdy) and folded the tulle in half and slipped it under the ribbon.


Created a loop with one hand, while holding the ends.


Grabbed the ends with the same hand and pulled through the loop.



Pulled the ends to tighten the knot.


Repeated this process all around.


Here's the finished product.



I ended up taking all the strips off the ribbon and remade it using 3/8 inch elastic.
Elastic was better, because I didn't have to worry about keeping the knot tight.

2 comments:

  1. "YOU GOOO GIRL" Don't Let them mess you up "CAUSE'' they done messed up"

    ReplyDelete
  2. littlebrensplace keeps her eyes open. Don't MESS UP Now !!!!

    ReplyDelete